Understanding SSIP: Your Key to Business Growth
You might have been asked about your SSIP accreditation by a potential client or during a tendering process. Or perhaps, you see SSIP accreditation as a pathway to secure more business and showcase your company’s expertise in health and safety.
SSIP, or Safety Schemes in Procurement, is a widely recognised UKAS accreditation standard that incorporates various health and safety schemes, including SMAS, CHAS, Safe Contractor, and more. If you’re asked to achieve SSIP accreditation, it can seem daunting. But don’t worry, we’re here to guide you every step of the way.
Choosing the Right Scheme: Tailored to Your Needs
The first step is to understand which scheme best fits your company. Ask your clients and contacts which one they require. This might seem straightforward, but certain clients may only accept one scheme, such as SMAS, even though other schemes are available under the SSIP banner.
Once you’ve identified the scheme you want to be accredited with, contact the provider, confirm the category you want, and pay the subscription fee. Remember, the scheme only lasts for 12 months, and you’ll need to be reassessed every year.
The Assessment Process: What to Expect
Different schemes work in slightly different ways, but generally, you’ll be allocated an assessor and provided with a list of requirements to upload evidence for the assessment process to begin. You’ll be asked to provide a range of completed and signed health and safety documentation, including:
- Confirmation of your “Competent” Person for Health & Safety
- Health & Safety Policies and Procedures
- Completed Risk Assessments and Safe System of Work
- COSHH Assessments specific to the substances you use at work
- Training record forms
- Plant and Equipment maintenance records
- Fire Risk Assessment and Fire Documentation
- Safety consultation records like Safety Committee meeting minutes, site meeting minutes
The list of requirements will vary depending on your industry sector and the type of work you undertake.
Navigating the SSIP Process: We’re Here to Help
You might see many Consultants offering a speedy SSIP service, promising a smooth and painless accreditation process. However, unless you have a well-established Health & Safety Management System with detailed examples and completed documentation, this might not always be the case.
We’ve assisted hundreds of clients through the SSIP process, whether that be SMAS, CHAS, Safe Contractor, Altius, etc. The key to success is understanding what your Assessor wants and providing them with the right information, not just what you think is correct or have at hand.
If you have the time and expertise to understand the accreditation process, that’s great. If not, we can assist you from start to finish, including:
- Dealing with the Assessor on your behalf
- Understanding what is required and asking you for information in a clear and concise manner
- Providing you with a fully compliant set of Health & Safety documentation or adding to your existing systems with supplementary information you need
- Providing you with “Competent” advice and guidance, a requirement of the SSIP regardless of which scheme you choose
- Providing ongoing support and guidance, bridging the GAP between you and the Assessor
Ready to elevate your health and safety standards? Reach out to us today and let’s build a safer future together.